Saturday, July 05, 2014

Daddy's Arms

I remember when I was little,
I was so very weak,
From a defect of my heart,
That I would often seek,
The arms of my daddy,
To carry me around.
He made my young life easier,
When my strength couldn't be found.

When the doctors finally fixed me,
In days so long ago,
The doctors needed to see
That all was ready to go.
So first my mother came in,
And all that I could say,
Was I want that chair to sit in,
As I just sobbed away.

My daddy was the key
He looked me in the eye,
Then said, "Do you still love me?"
"Yes, Daddy!", was my reply.
He heard the doctors comment,
"Thank God, she'll be okay!"
And he had a scary moment.

He went out in the hallway,
And suddenly realized,
He had been playing God,
I really could have died.
He leaned against the wall,
As that thought sunk in,
That he had made the call
My chances had been slim.

Today I miss my Daddy's arms
And wish he was still here,
But he's beyond all harm,
With those that I love there.
Now that I'm a parent I see,
That I can be the arms,
As children come to me.

No comments: